Liverpool merchant and philanthropist David Lewis founded Lewis's Department stores in Liverpool (1856) and later in Manchester, Birmingham and Sheffield. He was a pioneering retailer and public benefactor committed to bringing quality, integrity and affordable merchandise under the slogan 'Friends of the People'.
He died in 1885, his will bearing witness to his beliefs: his fortune was to be returned to the people from whom it was derived. A trust fund was set up and ultimately the David Lewis Assocation was formed in 1912. Over the coming decades the Association founded the David Lewis Liverpool Northern Hospital and Nurses Teaching College, Hotel, Boxing Club and Theatre and Youth Clubs across the City.
The David Lewis Association was converted into a donating charity in 2007, offering disadvantaged yet talented local young people grant funding that help make their personal life changing ambitions possible.